No Jumper in Nowhere
Projected Performance in Sahara Desert
Video Length: 02:41
As a former professional athletic high jumper in Greece, Giota Papakyriakou (now an artist) was filmed
aimlessly jumping and bumping in between (two) walls, until she was physically exhausted.
The physical space in the film was then removed by digital manipulation,
and projected on to an open sand field of Sahara desert.
The work explores and relates to
- Being (Exists = "There is.") and non-being (Non-existent things)
- Durational projection takes on a life of their own in the presence
- Spatiality : Artificial (static) and natural (impermanent) space
- Appearance; "appears, seems like" = "in doubt"
- Subjectively, to register a judgement on the experience